cold and single digit temperatures had a negative effect on many plant
species at the Memphis Botanic Garden and the usual bloom dates of our
spring flowering plants
are behind schedule.
- Witch Hazel bloomed throughout the cold and their flowers seem to be unscathed.
- Saucer and Star Magnolias are a couple of weeks behind but are in bloom now.
and Yoshino cherries normally peak about March 15th but are just now in bloom. The cherries are at peak as of April 3, and with predictions for severe weather, they're likely to lose most of their blossoms over the next couple of days.
- Redbuds and forsythia a couple of weeks behind schedule but are now starting to show their color.
- Normally Azaleas and Dogwoods peak about April 10th but this year it will be closer to the 15th to the 20th.
- Bearded Iris are usually at peak the last week in April and I expect they will be blooming though the first half of May.